Translate

Sunday, November 9, 2014

At The Movies Pt. 4

Dear Readers, how are you?  Are you ready?  This week's movie is a favorite of many.  Even if you're not a sports fan.  Uh oh.  Did I just tip my hand?  It's ok.  Let's get after it.  Have you ever had a bad attitude?  Of course you haven't.  Not you.  No.  Never.  Seriously.  We all have.  How about this.  Have you ever been around anyone with a bad attitude?  No.  Fun.  And finally, have you ever been led by anyone with a bad attitude?  Yep.  That one really takes the cake.  It might be the worstest (Hey, I make up words) of all!  What if I told you that the attitude of a leader will infiltrate, infect, affect, and thereby causing bad effects for the followers of the leader?  That would be wack!  Well, in this week's movie, Remember the Titans, that's exactly what happened.

C'mon.  Y'all know the scene.  The Titans are taking a break from or have just finished one of Head Coach Herman Boone's grueling and grinding football practices.  Just in case you've never seen the movie, take a gander at the scene in the clip below.



Wow. How's that for a powerful scene? Did it speak to you? Of course it did. Even if it was for the one thousandth time. "Attitude reflects leadership, Captain." Now ain't that the truth?  Gerry and Julius covered things so well, I don't have much else to add.  I know.  I know.  You're sad and disappointed.  It's ok.  I've still got something for you!  Ready?  Here we go.

1.   Check Your Attitude.  Uh oh.  You didn't expect me to come out blasting huh.  You know me by now.  This is what I do from time to time.  Anyway, it's your attitude that needs to be checked.  You're concerned about the speck of dust in someone else's eye while there's a beam in yours.  I've got a word for you.  Stop it.  Mind your business.  Check yourself.  Get yourself together.  Fix your stank attitude.  Then maybe someone wouldn't mind being led by you.  Tough words?  Not hardly.  In the days, weeks, and months to come, you'll get tougher words from me.  This is tame and light.  One last time.  Check Your Attitude.

2.   It Starts With You.  You're the leader, right?  That's why you're reading this.  You're a leader or you desire to lead.  The right way.  Just like Julius said to Bertier.  Correct though he may be, young Julius should take his own advice.  He may not have been a captain, but he was definitely a leader on that team.  Y'all know how I feel about titles and getting stuck on formal authority.  Yes, there's a place for both as it pertains to structure and the like in organizations.  I get it.  Some organizations put too much focus and emphasis on both.  Often, the real leaders, the ones who folk are really following?  They have no titles.  No formal authority.  They're names aren't listed in the managerial hierarchy.  But they're the ones everyone runs to.  They are you.  How do I know you so well?  Because I was you.  I was you during my time in Corporate America.  With and without a formal title.  I know both sides.  It's how I know that It Starts With You.  

You really wanna be a leader who's respected?  A leader who folk will follow even when you don't have any authority?  A leader who's loved?  Yes, I said it.  Loved.  A leader who gets it?  You really wanna be that kind of a leader?  If you do, it's easy.  I'm going to tell you how.  Ready?  Here we go.  If that's the kind of leader you desire to be, you must die.  Uh oh.  I just said something and 89.2% of you just ran out the door.  

For the rest of you, here's the deal.  You've got to die to the junk, funk, mess, and stuff you've been carrying that never belonged to you and was never a part of you.  You've got to die to bad, old habits and ways.  Bad, old habits and ways of doing things and thinking.  Sound hard?  It is.  Sound like it will be very well worth it?  It will be.  As long as you sell out to it.  Completely.  How on earth do you expect anyone else to buy-in if you don't buy-in?  The real and authentic you is lurking around in there somewhere.  Find her.  Dust her off.  Look to have her redeemed.

When you're ready.  I'm talking really, really, really ready.  That's when your new attitude (Yes, I just went all 1984 Patti LaBelle on you.) will be reflected throughout every level of your team, organization, and--watch this--your life.  That's when you'll be ready to Start A Fire.      


Join me on my webinar, Start A Fire on Nov. 10, 2014, I'll teach you: 

- How to start your fire

- Purpose is fuel

- The importance of quick hits


You’ll also receive:


SPECIAL ACCESS to the EXCLUSIVE RECORDING! 
- LIFE-ENRICHING, insider leadership tips!
- EXCLUSIVE PRICING for January 2015 training: Fit In ‘15!

CLICK HERE TO REGISTER NOW!  

SPACE IS LIMITED AND GOING FAST!


BECAUSE IT'S NEVER TOO EARLY OR TOO LATE TO START YOUR FIRE!
  

CLICK HERE TO FIND OUT WHY THE MOST POWERFUL WEAPON ON EARTH IS THE HUMAN SOUL ON FIRE! 

   

Webinar: Start A Fire!

Registration: http://startafire14.eventbrite.com

Date(s): Nov 10, 17, 24, & Dec. 1

Time: 7.00 PM—8.30 PM EST

                 

No comments:

Post a Comment