Translate

Monday, November 24, 2014

3 Things To Do While You Wait

I’ve never been a patient man.  I’ve become one and I’ve learned to be more patient.  In fact, I’m still learning how to be more patient.  What about you?  Are you a patient person?  You’ll have to be as you stand in lines this Thursday, Friday, and Saturday.  Uh oh.  I just called you out.  No, not like that.  Remember, I don’t front on y’all.  I just do my best to challenge you and make you think.  Let’s be real though.  Some of you know you’ll be in line on one of those days if not all three of them.  You’ll be there attempting to save BIG DOLLAR$!  Right?  I understand.  See, I know the importance of whisking yourself away from Thanksgiving dinner with your loved ones on Thursday night or getting in line at 3am to save $50 on a laptop.  What’s that?  The ad said they were practically giving them away?  Got it.  Ok.  I’ll tell you what.  If you believe that, then I’ve also got a magic lamp for you to rub.  You can rub it while you’re waiting.  And that’s the question.  What do you do while you’re waiting?  Whether it’s a Black Friday line, DMV, or grocery store line, what do you do while you wait?  Here’s a few things to help you endure your time in line.

Smile.  Remember, you chose to be in line.  No one told you to get up before the chickens to get that crockpot, Xbox, Samsung Smart TV or the G.I. Joe with the Kung Fu grip.  You made a choice.  So, while you’re there, smile.  A lot.  You’re going to need every bit of happiness that you can muster, so do it.  Folk around you could use a warm smile too.  Yes, even if they don’t smile back.  As hard as it is to smile through adversity, do it anyway.  I remember a time when I felt as though God had forgotten about me and my prayers and needs.  It was a very tough time in my life.  I’d say, “Lord, where are you?!  I need You!”  In truth, He was—and is--with me all the time, but I wanted an immediate fix to my situation.  Any guesses on what His reply was?  I’ll tell you.  He directed me to 1 Thessalonians 5.18 which says, “In every thing give thanks: for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.”  Not what I wanted to hear, but it was what I needed to hear and know.  I had to learn to smile while I waited.  So, remember to smile while you’re waiting in line this week and from now on when things get hard.  Yes, it’ll be hard to do sometimes, but at some point, you’ve got to make a choice.  You can live in the mess, hurt, funk, junk, and pain, or you can move on and smile as you’re doing so.  Take Kirk’s advice and just smile.


Have faith.  Yes, even when you’re in line for that new PS4 game, have faith.  That’s why you’re up so early anyway, right?  Because you have faith that the game will be there just for you!  I get it.  However, I’m asking you to have faith in the process.  Because sometimes, you’ll find yourself doubting if things are going to turn out the way you’d like.  Truth be told, things are going to turn out the way they need to.  You’ve just got to see and get what’s in it for you.  Uh oh.  I just said something there.  Back to the main point.  You’re in line, because someone has asked for something because they have faith in you.  I know 74.2% of you just fell out of your favorite chair!  Yes, they have faith in you!   Just as you have or should have faith in what you’ve asked God to do for you, your loved ones, your business, and folk and situations here at home and around the world.  There’s no coincidence in Matthew 7.7.  Ask. Seek.  Knock.  Look at the first letter in each word.  Put them together and what do they spell?  ASK!  Just cooked your noodle, didn’t I?  So ask and have faith while you wait.  The process is designed to build up and strengthen your faith anyway.  While you’re standing in line this week and from now on in your life, dig in and increase your faith and change your thinking all the more by believing. 

Do something.  No, don’t talk, text, or play games on your smart phone.  I’m going to ask you to do something radical.  Talk to people.  Hello?  Are you still there?  Oh.  You are.  I wasn’t sure, because it got mighty quiet in your section.  No, you’re not dreaming and yes, I said it.  Talk. To. People.  You remember them, right?  You live with ‘em.   You’re married and related to ‘em.  You work with ‘em.  Yes, human beings.  You’re in line and will be for a while.  Use your time wisely.  I’m not asking you to become BFFs with them, but I’m asking you to talk to them.  Yes, even if they don’t talk back.  Here’s the thing about that.  Most folk will talk back to you.  Oh, the horror!  I know.  I’m overcooking your grits.  You’ll live.  Put your phones and tablets and phablets away and talk to other human beings.  For some of you this will be a new experience, because your teenagers haven’t spoken a coherent sentence to you in months.  It’s ok.  They’ll come around.  In the meantime, you’ve got plenty of time while you’re waiting in line for that Doc McStuffins doll to sharpen your communication skills.  So, don’t just wait in line lookin’ all tight-faced and angry like Grumpy Cat.  While you’re waiting, do something.  Smile.  Have faith.  You do realize that all of these are action terms, don’t you?  Some require more work than others, but they all require some level of work.  Guess what?  You’re more than up to the task!  Do something!  You’re alive, so be alive!  Connect with the folk around you as you wait this week and beyond.  You never know when you’ll be meeting someone who can help you or better than that, someone that you can help.  And isn’t that what life is all about? 

As always, I truly and sincerely appreciate you taking the time to read this.  Share it with your friends and families this week.  They can also subscribe to receive my posts by going to: 



Also, if you or they are interested in more uplifting and encouraging messages, the link below contains audio clips similar to what you just read.



If you’re celebrating Thanksgiving, have a great time with friends and families!  Be thankful this week and always.




No comments:

Post a Comment