Translate

Sunday, August 31, 2014

Take Your Position


Sometimes, no matter what you do, you can't win.  Folk will be against you.  They won't like you.  There are multiple reasons for it.  Maybe you said something they didn't like.  Maybe you've taken a position on something.  Uh oh.  I just said something.  The position you take doesn't have to be a strong one.  The fact that you took one will be too much for many folk.  But the question is, what do you do with what they say?  Let it tear you down?  Dwell on it?  Alter your course?  Defeat you?   No.  You were grinding before they showed up with all that hateration, right?  Then my message to you is simple.  Keep.  On.  Grinding.  But now, you're taking what they've said and grinding it up and using it as fuel

I use a variety of sayings and expressions when I teach.  One of my faves is from The Rock.  That's Dwayne Johnson to you.  When he was a wrestler, The Rock would say to his opponents, "Know your role and shut your mouth!"  Yeah, give 'em the People's Elbow, Rock!  Hit 'em with the Rock Bottom!  Sorry, I got caught up for a moment.  I'm back now.  Where were we?  Oh yeah.  Know your role. 

In class, I tell my students that leaders know their roles and when to shut their mouths.  I say the same thing to you, but with an addition.  You should be saying this to those who are riding you, because you dared to take a position.  I can hear y'all now.  "Eric.  Are you telling me that I get to tell folk to shut up?!"  Well, not...  "Too late, buddy!  I'm on it!  I like you more and more with each post!"  No, that's not exactly what I'm saying.  Here's what I mean. 

You can and should tell the voices that are haunting and stalking you to "Shut up!"  Yes, it's ok to tell them to shut up.  These voices are the remnants of what folk said when you took a position.  They're echoing in your mind and you've got to know your role and make those voices and the remnants thereof shut their mouths.  Just like you've taken a position with the people, you must take a position with the voices as well.  

You've got to stand!  Stand and know that God's got you covered.  Know that no weapon formed against you will prosper.  I can hear you.  "Eric, I'm tired of standing.  It's over!"  What the what?!  Naw, dawg!  The devil is a lie!  It ain't over!  We've only begun to fight!  Love will hold us together!  Jesus Christ's love for you and me!  That's it.  I'm taking you to the King.  Without Him, I never would have made it and I know He can and will help you too!  You'll get to the point where you'll be able to laugh again.  Always remember that you're not alone.  So when they ask, "What's your position?"  You tell 'em that you're standing.  You're standing, because you believe.  When they ask you, "What do you believe in?"  You can proudly tell 'em, "Oh, it's more than belief.  I know I'm good, because my hero changed my life.  And it's on Christ the solid rock I stand.  That's my position and I'm taking it."    

No comments:

Post a Comment