Translate

Tuesday, February 10, 2015

You Got What You Wanted, But You Lost Everything You Had


Ahh, yes.  It's that time again.  Love is in the air.  Flowers are being sent.  Candy will soon be consumed.  Succulent dinners are being planned.  Babysitters are being hired.  It's the week of Valentine's Day.  I need to talk to the men for a sec.  Fellas, you're ready, right?  What do you mean you didn't know?!  Man, you're in trouble!  You've got a few days, so get on it!  You can thank me later.  Ok, now where were we?  Oh, yeah.  Love.  He loves you.  You love him.  Right?  You don't know?  Uh oh.  You've given your all and you don't know the answer to that question?

Ever felt that way?  I have.  I gave up some good things, because I had my eyes fixed on something better.  Well, at least that's what I thought.  You see, better has a unique allure and appeal.  Sometimes, it truly is better.  But in order to know if it's real or if it's Memorex, you need to be wise and discerning.  You can't just assume that it's better.  And ask yourself this.  Why do you think it's better?  Because you're unhappy with what you have?  Here's another question for you to ask you.  How in the world did you even get here in the first place?



That one's easy.  Slowly and methodically.  It's a syndrome.  It's called Greener Grass Syndrome (GGS) or GGS for short.  You traded in your self-respect, self-worth, and shoot, a part of yourself, because the Greener Grass was calling you.  Actually, it wasn't.  But how can I say this?  I'll make it plain.  You began to lust for Greener Grass.    

And if you know anything about lust and what it means to be lustful for anything, it's an extremely powerful and dangerous thing.  It will consume you and contrary to popular belief, you cannot handle it.  If you'll be honest about it, think about any time that you lusted for anything or anyone.  Did it turn out well?  Nope.  Greener Grass Syndrome.



Think of all you gave up to have him, her, or it.  Honesty.  Gone.  Integrity.  Gone.  Trustworthiness.  Gone.  Kindness.  Gone.  Love.  Gone.  And maybe worst of all, you allowed GGS to trick you into not using one of your greatest assets: wisdom.  Wisdom is vastly important.  You don't have to believe the bible, but I bet this will make sense to you, "Do not forsake wisdom, and she will protect you; love her, and she will watch over you." - Prov. 4.6-7.  But you didn't and don't need protection.  You didn't and don't need someone to watch over you, because you've got this!  Right?!  To that I say one thing: Tommyrot!

So, now what?  What can you do?  It's too late.  Isn't it?  If you know me well, you know what I always say about that.  "It's only too late when you quit.  Because as long as you're still here, you've got a shot!"  I'd tell you to slap yourself right now so that you'd know that you're still here, but you might get carried away.  Which is exactly why you need to forgive yourself.

You've got some apologies to make.  Some repenting to do.  And some forgiving to do as well.  I know forgiveness has been a recurring theme here recently, but it's ok.  I'll stay on it as long as I'm told to.  Because I know the poison of unforgiveness and what it can do to you.  I've lived it.  I've lived with it.  I harbored it like it was a fugitive!  We were tight, ol' unforgivness and I.  Until me an ol' girl had to break up.  That's right.  She, unforgiveness, got sent packing!  See ya!

As with anything, it was a process.  It will be for you too.  But you can do this!  You must do this!  The quality of your life depends on it.

So as you're opening candy, cards, and unboxing flowers and other gifts during this week of love, I need you to do something.  Leave the Greener Grass alone.  Pay attention to and focus on your own lawn.  If you don't, you'll be just like the little bear in the bed.  But it's all good.  Because you got everything you wanted.  And that's a good thing.  Right?

 



No comments:

Post a Comment