Translate

Tuesday, September 9, 2014

Now or Then?

"I've seen the future and it will be.  I've seen the future and it works."  That's a lyric from Prince's song The Future from the Batman (1989) soundtrack.  I've seen the future and it will be.  If you stew on that for a bit, it's a pretty good play on words.  And if y'all know anything about me, you might want to know this: I really appreciate good word play.  And this is very good word play.  The future.  Always an immensely popular subject.  Whether it's in a cartoon like the Jetsons or a movie such as Robocop, we've long held a great fascination with the future.  It is with great anticipation that many of us look forward to and toward the future.  The future is cool.  And it's so far away, right?  So we've got plenty of time.  After all, it is the future.  But what if I told you that now is the future?  That today, the very day that you're reading this is the future.  That somebody's one day, that some day is today.  That this very moment is somebody's future.  Yours.  

We tend to treat the future as though it's eons away and that we've got more than enough time to plan and prepare for it.  Whatever it is, it can wait until tomorrow.  Y'all know how we do.  We say, "I'll get my degree tomorrow."  "I'll start my business in a year."  "I'll express my real feelings.  One day..."  "I'll write that blog post that's been burning inside of me.  Tomorrow."  Don't front on me, y'all.  That's how we roll.  We've got time.  We'll play that game with our kids tomorrow.  We'll teach 'em how to ride their bike next week.  We'll eventually help mom, dad, granddad, or grandma with those chores.  One day.  We are the kings and queens of procrastination.  And it's ok.  Because we're busy.  We lead such busy lives.  Some things just have to wait.  Right?  Of course they do.  And tomorrow is coming, so we're good.  We've got this!  Except for one thing.  Tomorrow.  Is.  Today.

In truth, none of us know how many more tomorrow's we've got left.  We hope and pray that we've got many, many, many.  But we don't know for sure.  Now don't go getting sad on me.  Just realize it for what it is.  This isn't a, "If today were your last day on earth, what would you do" post.  It's different.  I hope it's more than that.  Stay with me.  I'm going somewhere.  

How many of you know what a legacy is?  Show of hands.  Ok, cool.  Most of you know or have some idea what it is.  It's that future thing.  You know, the stuff that can wait.  The stuff you do when you're old.  The stuff folk say about you when you're old or when you're no longer here.   That's it, right?  Not exactly.  Dear readers, whether you realize it or not, your legacy is now.  You're building it right now.  In everything you do.  In everything you say.  In some way shape or form, you are a living legacy.  Uh oh.  I just said something.  Y'all know I can hear you mumbling, so out with it.  "Ok, Eric.  I thought you were going to uplift and encourage in these posts.  All I feel is sad and like I've lost time.  What are you saying?"  I'm saying that you're building a now legacy in all that you do.  See, we tend to think of a legacy as something that's far away from now.  Waaaaayyyy off in the distant future.  Newsflash, y'all.  That ain't true.  

Friends, whether we realize it or not, we're building now legacies.  So shouldn't we want to build something that's going to last?  Something that will be remembered for the good and positive impact it had on folk?  Yes, we should.  So how do we do it?  I'm so glad you asked.

One of the ways we can build a successful now legacy is by building solid and deep personal relationships.  Here's a few tips on building those types of relationships:


1. Know yourself.  If you're honest with this, you'll dig deeply into who you are and why you are that way.  I'll warn you now, it could be one of the best decisions you've ever made.  Think on it.  How in the world are folk going to connect with you, touch you, and receive what you have for them if you're not sure who you really are?
2. Be yourself.  Sounds simple, doesn't it?  Until you realize that you've got on so many layers of this and masks that show that, you don't know who you really are.  Therefore, you can't be yourself.  What's more is you can't share yourself with others although that's exactly what you should be doing.  That is, giving yourself away.
Dear readers, these are just a couple of the ways that you can actively build your now legacy.  I'd say it's a pretty good start.  What's that?  "Umm, Eric?  That was interesting.  What if a person wanted to hear and learn more about this stuff?  Will you have more posts about it?"  Great question.  If a person wanted to hear and learn more about it, a person should join me on Friday, October 10, 2014.  I'll be teaching on this very topic at the L2: Learn - Lead Conference.  Tickets are still available, but hurry!  They're going fast!  Click the link below for more details!  I'll see you there!

No comments:

Post a Comment